The Homecoming was a 1971 family drama movie, which serves as the pilot for The Waltons. Although it was not expected to be a pilot for a series, it was popular enough for a series to be commissioned.
The Homecoming was in fact the second screen adaptation of author Earl Hamner's Jr.'a book, "Spencer's Mountain," following the motion picture of the same name, released in 1963.
- Andrew Duggan as John Walton
- Patricia Neal as Olivia Walton
- Richard Thomas as John-Boy Walton
- Edgar Bergen as Zebulon Walton
- Ellen Corby as Esther Walton
- Cleavon Little as Hawthorne Dooley
- Dorothy Stickney as Emily Baldwin
- Josephine Hutchinson as Mamie Baldwin
- William Windom as Charlie Snead
- Woodrow Parfrey as Ike Godsey
- Judy Norton as Mary-Ellen Walton
- Mary McDonough as Erin Walton
- Kami Cotler as Elizabeth Walton
- Eric Scott as Ben Walton
- David W. Harper as Jim-Bob Walton
- Jon Walmsley as Jason Walton
- David Huddleston as Sheriff Bridges
- Sally Chamberlin as City Lady
- David Livingston as Claudie Dooley
- Betty Carter as Emmarine
- Kent Williams as Shepherd #1
- Roderick Bingley as Shepherd #2
- Rodney Bingley as Shepherd #3
- Miyoshi Williams as Angel
- Clarence M. Landry as Santa Claus
- Elizabeth: Mary Ellen called us piss ants.
- Olivia: Well you know better than that don't you, Elizabeth?
- Elizabeth: I don't feel like a piss ant.
- Olivia: There, you see?
- Little Girl: Thy two breasts are like two young rows that are twins which feed among the lilies. Solomon Song Chapter 4:5.
- Missionary: Er... Thank you.